Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Table of Contents:
[Mailing address removed from online version]
April 12, 2011
To whom it may concern:
Please accept my application for a Junior Accounting position with your organization.
As a senior commerce student fascinated by the discipline of accounting, I have been inspired to become an Associate Member of the Certified Management Accountants of Ontario and am planning on starting this professional designation in September 2011. While enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Guelph, I also enjoy transferring my knowledge in accounting to undergraduate students by teaching financial and managerial accounting review sessions in addition to working as a Teaching Assistant, Tutor and Undergraduate Research Assistant.
In my previous role as a Property Accountant with RioCan Property Services, for which I was given a grade of “Outstanding” on my formal work performance evaluation, I was responsible for the day-to-day accounting for a complete portfolio of commercial real estate. My ability to consistently show attention to detail was greatly enhanced through the preparation of financial reports including, realty tax recoveries, monthly financial statements and bank reconciliations. Intermediate level accounting and computing skills were exercised daily using Microsoft Excel and the JD Edwards accounting software to perform monthly adjustments and update various schedules. I also worked with on-site property managers to prepare and process annual tenant billings.
My admirable leadership and communication skills have allowed me the opportunity to participate in many accounting conferences and competitions. Most recently, I worked with a group of colleagues to secure first place at the 2011 University of Ottawa Accounting Competition in managerial accounting. I have also been awarded a silver medal in a class of 60 students for my professional presentation skills. While seeking a student representative for a faculty search committee, the Department of Business at the University of Guelph, selected myself as a participant out of 3,000 potential commerce students. I have also been asked to contribute to a committee overseeing the planning and construction of a new building for the College of Management and Economics.
During the summer, I enjoy volunteering for a local youth group and coaching a children’s soccer camp. I spend my spare time working on developing a non-profit organization and maintaining a website which provides students with free access to supplemental study material at the University of Guelph.
As a hard working student, with a variety of courses completed in accounting, economics and computing, and who has also devoted time to participating in extra-curricular activities, I am confident that I possess the attributes necessary to succeed in this position. Thank you for taking the time to review my application.
CMA, Society of Management Accountants of Ontario
January 2012 – Present
Honours Bachelor of Commerce, University of Guelph
September 2005 – April 2011
- Major: Management Economics in Industry & Finance (Co-op)
- Completed CMA prerequisite courses
Wilfrid Laurier University
May 2008 – August 2008
- Enrolled in a summer semester on a Letter of Permission to advance my accounting studies
Fund Accountant, [Company name withheld]
September 2012 – Present
- Responsible for the accounting of an $840 million fund of fund taking advantage of various hedging strategies.
- Accurately prepare monthly financial statements and NAVs in a timely manner while maintaining strict control procedures.
- Accounting for Foreign exchange investments and transactions using multiple currencies.
- Precisely calculate fund P&L and investor allocations on a monthly basis.
- Provide time-sensitive audit support and assistance when necessary.
- Ensure funds comply with the legal obligations set out in the subscription documents and offering memorandums.
- Dilligently prepare various reconciliations for cash positions, market value positions, investor and fund subscriptions/redemptions and important financial data accross multiple accounting platforms.
- Gained comprehensive exposure to investment accounting including NAVs, statements of operations, realized and unrealized gains/losses, differing hedging strategies, investments in foreign currencies and offshore funds.
Compliance & Policy Accountant, Revera Inc.
June 2011 – March 2012
- Prepared regulatory financial reports for various funding authorities in a timely manner
- Updated and created company-wide accounting policy and procedure documentation
- Documented company processes/procedures and identified opportunities for improvement to increase efficiency
- Created capital asset continuity schedules and performed impairment testing to meet IFRS standards
- Assisted with regulatory audits and performed necessary accounting adjustments
- Ensured organizational understanding of policies and assisted in policy implementation and analysis of transactions for adherence to company policies
Undergraduate Research Assistant, University of Guelph
September 2010 – May 2011
Teacher Assistant, University of Guelph
September 2008 – April 2011
Finance Summer Student, Centerra Gold
June 2009 – September 2009
- Ensured consistency and comparability among financial reports
- Reconciled and validated accounting data in the company’s financial database
- Prepared journal entries to reconcile accounts to correct amounts
Property Accountant, RioCan Property Services
January 2009 – April 2009
- Maintained a diverse portfolio of properties and performed periodic financial reporting while meeting tight deadlines
- Prepared year end billing files, monthly financial statements, cash flows, bank reconciliations, realty tax reports and GST returns.
- Quickly adapted to the JD Edwards accounting software
Financial Template Quality Assurance Analyst, CaseWare International
September 2007 – January 2008
- Accurately customized financial statements and templates to meet client specifications and requirements
- Proficiently tested financial templates on many levels to ensure functionality and quality assurance standards
- Prepared professional training documents for internal use
Customer Service Representative, Sentex Data Communications
April 2007 – September 2007
- Effectively provided technical support to customers concerning networking, web hosting, email and internet configuration
- Promptly responded to all customer inquiries and correspondence
- Quickly learned and adapted to the Linux/Unix server environment while gaining familiarity with billing software and accounts receivable
Corporate Team Trainer, Galaxy Cinemas
June 2003 – January 2006
- Responsible for orienting and training new and existing staff members
- Prepared monthly “Corporate Team Trainer Reports” which detailed specific promotions, goals and outlines for upcoming months
- Handled cash and balanced daily deposits and cash flows
- Awarded “Raving Fans +1 Service” on numerous occasions as well as “Employee of The Month” for delivering excellent customer service
Volunteer, Local Youth Group
February 2008 – Present
Director of Technology, Accounting Society of Guelph
September 2008 – April 2011
Accounting Faculty Search Committee, University of Guelph
April 2010 – June 2010
Children’s Soccer Coach
- Regularly teach accounting review sessions with up to 400 students
- Associate Member of the Certified Management Accountants of Ontario
- Won first place in Managerial Accounting at the 2011 University of Ottawa Case Competition
- Placed third in the 2010 Brock University Accounting Competition
- Awarded fourth placed at Ryerson’s Achieve Competition in 2010
- Participated in various contests including CMACC, Impact Apprentice, Fast Pace, Euclid, Fermat and CNML
- Began work on a non-profit organization, Increase the Peace Foundation
- Playing sports and maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Building and maintaining websites
- Customizing vehicles and in-car entertainment